Sunday, April 28, 2013

Book Review: Bittersweet

Book: Bittersweet
Author: Sarah Ockler
Publisher: Simon Pluse
Publication Date: January 3rd 2012
Source: Borrowed from my sister!


Once upon a time, Hudson knew exactly what her future looked like. Then a betrayal changed her life, and knocked her dreams to the ground. Now she’s a girl who doesn’t believe in second chances... a girl who stays under the radar by baking cupcakes at her mom’s diner and obsessing over what might have been.

So when things start looking up and she has another shot at her dreams, Hudson is equal parts hopeful and terrified. Of course, this is also the moment a cute, sweet guy walks into her life... and starts serving up some seriously mixed signals. She’s got a lot on her plate, and for a girl who’s been burned before, risking it all is easier said than done.

It’s time for Hudson to ask herself what she really wants, and how much she’s willing to sacrifice to get it. Because in a place where opportunities are fleeting, she knows this chance may very well be her last..


[Goodreads]

Review:

Hudson Avery used to be a competition winning figure skater, until one night when she threw one of the most important events of her skating career.  This night brought many changes to Hudson’s life, and now years later she is known as the Cupcake Queen, working at her mother’s diner.  But as things unfold she realizes that she misses skating and may want to start again.
I really enjoyed this book and liked it quite a bit more than Twenty Boy Summer, Sarah Ockler’s other novel. I think that this mainly had to do with my feelings for the characters. I mostly liked Hudson the main character. I felt bad for her at many times throughout the novel. At times she got on my nerves and some of the choices she made me want to say WHY? Especially regarding her relationship with her best friend Dani. Dani was another great characters and I loved her spunk and personality. I did get frustrated with her often as well, but that had to do with her relationship with Hudson. Hudson’s family was a very important part of the book and I really enjoyed her relationship with her little brother Bug. He was super cute!! I didn’t really like Hudson’s mother to much, but I felt for her situation and understood her motives.
 My favorite part of this book was probably the romance. Lately I have not enjoyed many romances I have read about.  But I really loved the two boys in this book Josh and Will. I honestly couldn’t choose which guy I preferred but Josh was the sweeter of the two.   I didn’t feel like this was to much of a triangle though because I think it was clear who Hudson would prefer to be with.
If you enjoy cute romances, cute boys, and fun little brothers you should definitely pick this up! I will be picking up more of Sarah’s books soon! 

What I Rate it: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment